Crystal Pier Outrigger Canoe Race
Crystal Pier 2018 is coming!!!
Saturday, May 12, 2018 – Crown Point – Mission Bay – San Diego, CA
Like Us for Race Updates – https://www.facebook.com/CrystalPierRace/
The Crystal Pier Outrigger Canoe Race is a Southern California Outrigger Racing Association Race, hosted by Hanohano Canoe Club in San Diego, CA. The race draws 2500+ participants annually who battle in a 5 mile novice and kid’s race, 10 mile men, women and coed races in six person outrigger canoes.
Schedule of Events
All times are approximate.
- 7:00 AM – Registration, coffee and breakfast vendors open
- 7:00 AM – Merchandise, vendor, silent auction, and raffle tents open
- 8:00 AM – Novice, junior, and short course steersperson meeting
- 8:00 AM – Mini Iron race for keikis
- 8:30 AM – Novice, junior, and short course race starts (approx. 5 miles)
- 9:00 AM – Open steersperson meeting
- 10:00 AM – Women/coed race starts (approx. 10 miles)
- 11:30 AM – Lunch begins
- 12:00 PM – Men’s race starts (approx. 10 miles)
- 12:00 PM – Beer garden opens sponsored by Kona Brewing Company
- 2:00 PM – Last raffle prize and silent auction announced
- 2:30 PM – Load boats on trailers
- 3:30 PM – Awards ceremony
- 5:30 PM – Beer garden closes
Pre Sale is now live!!! Get your pre ordered merchandise and raffle tickets here!!
Merchandise will be available for pickup and purchase May 11, 5-7PM at the race site and on race day, May 12, starting at 7:00 AM. Cash, checks, and credit cards accepted on site.
The Kona Brewing Company beer garden will open at 12:00 PM and close at 5:00 PM. All beer garden participants must be 21+ with a valid ID.
A variety of vendors including paddling equipment, Hawaiian cultural art vendors, and food will be open throughout the day from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM. If you are interested in being a vendor, please click here for more information.
Medals will be awarded to first, second, and third place winners in 28 different categories including unlimited style canoes and over 500 medals!
Breakfast and Lunch
Coffee, breakfast and lunch vendors will be available on race day.
Raffle and Silent Auction
Raffle and silent auction will be open from 7:00 AM – 2:00 PM. Raffle will be called throughout the day. Must be present to win. Last call to pick up raffle items will be during awards. Silent auction items will close at 2:00 PM and be available for pick up from 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM. Cash, credit cares and checks accepted.
Location of the after party coming soon. Keep an eye on the facebook page for updates
Location and Permit Regulations
NO DOGS, NO GLASS, NO LOADING, AND UNLOADING IN RED ZONES, NO SMOKING, and NO ALCOHOL.These rules apply on the beach, in the park, and in the parking lots. FYI our permit includes the services of the San Diego Police Department; two officers are assigned to our event for the entire day.
Registration and Race Rules
Registration can be completed in one of two ways:
Online at www.scoraregistration.com
In person, Saturday May 12 between 7 and 8 am.
SCORA Race Rules are available at the link below and apply to the Crystal Pier Race: http://www.socaloutrigger.org/race-rules/
Note: It is imperative that all paddlers including each member from SCORA and each member of a visiting crew, all coaches, all escort skippers, any person on any escort boat for any reason, and any person who accompanies that crew in any capacity sign a 2016 SCORA Release of Liability Waiver. Please be aware that this is not an exhaustive list. If you are in doubt about whether an individual should sign a SCORA Release of Liability form, please ask them to do so.
The race is at Crown Point Shores which offers a large grass park for teams to set camps and a more canoe friendly beach for launching. Take I-5 Freeway Exit Sea World Drive and go west. Pass Sea World and take Ingraham St. exit on your right. Get in middle lane (that is two lanes over to the left) heading north. After going over the first bridge proceed in the right lane over the 2nd bridge and turn right on Crown Point Drive which is the stoplight at the end of the bridge. The park is immediately on the right side – turn into first driveway.
Parking is free and the lot is large enough to accommodate all participants. Please do not park in any spots reserved for SCORA officials and the SCORA van and park legally in marked spots. Tickets will be issued to any vehicles parked in red zones or taking up more than one spot.
Trailer unloading will take place and the far north end of the parking lot. Please rig boats on the grass in order to keep the parking lot open to traffic. Parking for the trailers will be on the dirt lot at the far north end of the park. Each trailer driver will receive a parking permit for their trailer which must be clearly displayed on the back of the trailer near the license plate. Hanohano team members will be available on Friday evening to hand out trailer permits for those coming early. For trailers coming Saturday morning permits will be available from 5:30 am to 9:30 am at the unloading area.
- The Dana on Mission Bay
- 1710 West Mission Bay Drive, San Diego, CA 92109
- Reservations 1-800-445-3339 / www.thedana.com
- Paradise Point Resort and Spa
- 1404 Vacation Road, San Diego, CA 92109
- Reservations (858) 581-5924 / www.paradisepoint.com
- Bahia Resort Hotel
- 998 West Mission Bay Drive, San Diego, CA 92109
- Reservations 1-800-576-4229 / www.bahiahotel.com
- Catamaran Resort Hotel
- 3999 Mission Blvd. San Diego CA 92109 / www.catamaranresort.com
- Holiday Inn Express San Diego – Mission Bay
- 4610 De Soto Street, San Diego, CA 92109
- Reservations (858) 483-9800 / www.ichotelsgroup.com
- Pacific Shores Inn
- 4802 Mission Boulevard, San Diego, CA 92109
- Reservations (858) 483-6300 / http://pacific-shores-inn.pacificahost.com